Sunday, June 23, 2013

Travel: Cairo, Egypt March 2013

I was invited to a wedding reception of one of my dear friends from University of Illinois - Urbana Champaign.   We were both in the Management Information Systems program and took a wide variety of classes together.  She was also the one that taught me a bit about wine, led me to actually liking cheese (and thinking that it's more than just Kraft singles), and was a big sister to me.  The wedding reception/dinner was in Cairo - of all places - as her fiancé (at the time) is Egyptian and his family lived near Cairo.    Done deal!  Not only will I get to see my friend get wed, I've also never been to Egypt before and it was close enough for me to not have to take too many days off of work during a busy period.

Cairo is a 3.5 hr flight from London.  Not bad if you think about it.  In March when I went it was about 11 degrees Celsius (50ish degrees F) in London - and it was around 40 degrees Celsius (close to 100 F) in Cairo.   A complete and welcomed change.

Plans:
I got in to Cairo on a Friday at 5am.  The plan was to rest, spend some time going to Mosques and a large market in Cairo with the tour guide, my friend, her fiancé, and her family, then have a reception dinner in the evening.  Saturday, her family and I were to go to the Egyptian Museum while my friend went on her honeymoon.  Sunday when her family flew out - I was to go to see the pyramids and go on a camel ride before I had to fly out Sunday afternoon.  Tight timeline but it was amazingly wonderful!

Onto the pictures!

The sad news is that on the first day with the central market and mosque - I left my camera at home...so no pictures.

This is from day 2 in Cairo where we went to the museum and around the museum area:
Driving along the highway - you can see Pyramids in the distance. HOW COOL IS THAT?




Beautiful old house


One of the few Christian Churches in Cairo













Day 3: Pyramids and Camels!
Hard to imagine how many years it took to make this, how old it is and that I was standing right next to it!


Each of the blocks on the base were probably about 3 ft tall


During the digs they uncovered a large boat/ship that was pulled apart and buried next to one of the great Pyramids to help the Pharaoh sail into the next life


Model of the boat

The ACTUAL Boat

One of the most spectacular views...

This is Charlie Brown (the camel) and I'm being cheesy

My camel wrangler

IT'S THE SPHINX!!!!  Tiny next to the Pyramids


The Tour guide took me to a nice restaurant for lunch as a surprise before my flight.  This was very beautiful and unexpected especially as from the outside it didn't look like anything but a run down building under construction.




Cairo was amazing. I would go there again to show friends around and also to go to one of the resorts by the Dead sea.

My only notes of caution:
- If you are a woman - cover up your hair with a scarf before entering any Mosques.  It's out of respect. Otherwise there is no need to cover your hair if you are not muslim or if you don't want to.  The women there are a mix.  Some of them cover, others don't.
- Wear loose fitting clothing that is modest.  if you don't like stares and leers then don't wear anything that would illicit that.  The people there aren't used to a western style of hot weather dress.  We would stare as well if someone was dressed very differently.
-  If you are not Egyptian and you set out to buy things - you HAVE to haggle.  Regardless you will probably get ripped off a bit or a lot.  Sometimes it's better to have a local friend barter for you or buy things for you.
-  It's best to have a tour guide if possible.  They may be a wee expensive but it's worth it because of the language barrier, not getting lost, finding restaurants you'd never find otherwise, and to barter/buy souvenirs for you if you wait outside.  Especially true if you are a single woman and you're travelling.

I felt a bit unsafe in the evenings and people stared a lot at me despite me being in covered clothing.  I guess as an almost 6 foot tall Chinese woman with pale skin - everyone is very curious.  I was even told that I was gorgeous by a lady at the airport who sees plenty of foreigners.    Thank goodness I am not blonde - they get more stares.  :)

Do go to Cairo if you have a chance and don't forget to bring sunblock...the Egyptian sun is just something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment